Search The Sparkler

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

LITTLE GIRL BLUE: The Life of Karen Carpenter

 By Donnie Demers

As most of you know, my musical endeavors began with my affection and love for the music of the Carpenters. As a child, I knew that I wanted to inspire others the way Karen's voice and Richards arrangements inspired me.  I am more than happy to endorse and recommend the upcoming (and in my opinion the most truthful) biography written about Karen Carpenter, "Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter."
Little 
Girl Blue book cover

That being said, behind every story, there lies 3 truths:

1. The truth according to how I see it
2. The truth the way you see it, and
3. The truth as it actually was

After reading an advance copy of this book, I am happy to report that many of the private stories and personal recollections of the great, Karen Carpenter (that were previously withheld in other books written about Karen)...have been revealed within the pages of Randy Schmidt's story, hence, "the truth the way I see it."

Having been privy to these stories for years (and unable to share them), I'm glad that Karen's remarkable life is being told without the glossing over of facts, and yet detailed with great respect and admiration by the author. Having had many of Karen's friends involved in this book (including Olivia Newton John), Randy Schmidt opens up doors that were previously locked.  While this book is not about Karen's battle with the eating disorder Anorexia Nervosa, it does however, give us a glimpse into some of the issues that may have contributed to it.

Regardless of how the story is told, whether it be any of the three truths, the most important and undeniable truth still remains; Karen Carpenter was one of American Popular Music's greatest female vocalists of all time.  To this day, Karen Carpenter's voice is heard all over the world inspiring millions of listeners long after her untimely passing on February 4, 1983.

For a really great read, pick up Randy Schmidt's book when it comes out July 2010!
http://www.karencarpenterbiography.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment